Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Skillet Lasagna & Sloppy Joe

I have to tell you... I wasn't sure about the skillet lasagna.  You see, I really like good old layered lasagna.  I was concerned with it all in the skillet it would be more like ziti or something...I'm really not sure.  I really liked it!  I used this recipe from Mel's Kitchen Cafe:  http://www.melskitchencafe.com/2009/07/simple-and-meaty-skillet-lasagna.html

Now, as usual, I can't just follow the recipe, so here's my list of modifications:
Instead of using all canned tomatoes, I used 1-14.5 oz petite dices tomates and 1-32 ounce can of spaghetti sauce, plus water (about 1 cup or so) and no tomato sauce.
I forgot to buy parmesan cheese, so I just added extra mozzarella, but would've used parm if I had it.
Instead of a mix of beef & pork, I used sweet italian chicken sausage.
And I was too lazy to even break up noodles so I used rotini pasta.
It looked really "pretty" when I was done with it, but again, I forgot to take a picture.  I'll get the hang of this eventually.  Adrianna makes fun of me the few times I have remembered to take pictures...
Definitely will repeat this recipe, it only took about 30 minutes start to finish!


I love a good 'n saucy sloppy crow joe!  I rarely make our sloppy joes with beef anymore, in fact, I don't remember the last time I did - now I use ground turkey.  I have my own sauce recipe that I like to use, the measurements are approximate:
1/4 cup onion, chopped
1/4 cup green bell pepper, chopped
1/2 tsp. garlic salt
1 - 2 tsp. yellow mustard
3/4 - 1 cup. ketchup
3 tsp. brown sugar
1 lbs ground turkey

Brown the ground turkey in a large skillet, breaking up as you cook it.  When turkey is almost done, add in the onion and bell pepper.  I like this tender-crisp, so I saute it for about 3-5 minutes.  Add the rest of your ingredients then simmer for about 15-20 minutes.  One of the nice things about using the ground turkey is there is never enough fat that the meat has to be drained!  You'll notice there's liquid from the onion and green pepper, but once you've simmered the mixture it turns into a nice sauce.



Yum!!

No comments:

Post a Comment